COM1074: Principles of Advertising & Design
- To provide students with a solid foundation in the theories and application of the theories in the advertising discipline including the ethical, legal side of advertising, the economy and its important role in society.
- To introduce methods of determining advertising objectives, budgets, and establishing target audiences.
- To provide students with a preliminary understanding of the creative functions and role of design in the advertising industry
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate a good understanding of the theories and practices of advertising and design by applying what they have learned to address problems or opportunities in the advertising world.
- Evaluate the role of research in planning and developing an advertising campaign.
- Evaluate, analyse and formulate the business, ethical and legal issues of advertising nationally and globally.
- Formulate the advertising objectives, budgets and target audiences.
Arens, William. (2010). Essentials of Contemporary Advertising. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Katz, Helen (2010). The Media Handbook: A Complete Guide to Advertising Media Selection, Planning, Research, and Buying. London: Routledge.
Nesbit, Wilbur Dick. (2010). First Principles of Advertising. Tennessee: General Books LLC.
Tibbs, Andy. (2010). Advertising: A Practical Guide. London: Routledge.
Williams, Eliza. (2010). This Is Advertising. Chronicle Books Pricken, Mario (2008). Creative Advertising. London: Thames & Hudson.
Belch, George & Belch, Michael. (2008). Advertising and Promotion: An Integrated Marketing Communications Perspective. New York: McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
Jefkins, Frank. (2006). Advertising Made Simple. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall.
Moriarty, Sandra, Mitchell, Nancy & Wells, William D. (2008). Advertising: Principles and Practice. New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
O’ Guinn, Thomas, Allen, Chris & Semenik, Richard J. (2008). Advertising & Integrated Brand Promotion. Cincinnati: South-Western College Pub.
Ogilvy, David. (2006). Ogilvy on Advertising. Birmingham: Pan Books.
Stoklossa, Uwe & Rempen, Thomas. (2007). Advertising: New Techniques for Visual Seduction. London: Thames & Hudson.
Wells, W., Burnett, J. & Moriarty, S. (2006). Advertising: Principles and Practice. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall.
Related Academic & Professional Journals
Bellman, S., Schweda, A., Varan, D. (2009). A Comparison of Three Interactive Television Ad Formats, Journal of Interactive Advertising, [online] Available at http://jiad.org/article122 [Accessed 2 October 2010].
Lewis, B. & Porter, L. (2010). In-Game Advertising Effects: Examining Player Perceptions of Advertising Schema Congruity in a Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game, Journal of Interactive Advertising, [online] Available at: http://jiad.org/article131 [Accessed 30 September 2010].
Precourt, G. (2010). The Power of Television in a Digital Age. Journal of Advertising Research, Vol. 50, No. 2, pp.109-110.
Richards, J. I. (2000). Interactive Advertising Concentration: A First Attempt, Journal of Interactive Advertising, [online] Available at: http://jiad.org/article3 [Accessed 30 September 2010]
Zigmond, D. & Stipp, H. (2010). Assessing a New Advertising Effect: Measurement of the Impact of Television Commercials on Internet Search Queries, Journal of Advertising Research, Vol.50, No.2, pp.162-168