COM1024: Media, Culture and Society
The relationship between theories of society, theories of culture and theories of media will be examined from a range of perspectives. Views from traditionalist to pluralist and materialist will be operationlised through media constructions of reality.
The objectives of the course are to enable students to
- Develop an understanding on how media, culture and society relate to each other.
- Learn the relevance of media, culture and society to the success of effective media studies.
Upon successful completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- Analyze some of the key concepts and theories in the explanation and interpretation of the relations between media, culture and society.
- Identify and critically discuss issues that arise in the application of relevant theories and concepts to contemporary phenomena that provide evidence of the relations between media, culture and society
- Synthesize ideas and arguments in writing in order to address coherently specific questions concerning relations between media, culture and society
- Formulate and practice critical methods of inquiry and research on relations between media, culture and society